Fulltime\Summer Employment & Volunteer Opportunities
Teach Criminal Law to Rising Ninth Graders (Paid Public Interest Summer Job for 1Ls and 2Ls)
Like criminal law? Want to be a trial lawyer? Interested in education policy or want to pursue academia? Like working with underserved youth? Want public service experience?
This PAID summer job is for you!
Legal Outreach, Inc. prepares urban youth from underserved communities to compete at high levels by using intensive legal and educational programming as a tool for fostering vision, developing skills, enhancing confidence, and facilitating the pursuit of higher education. We accomplish these ends through the means of law-related education programming and an intensive College Bound program.
We seek exceptional law students interested in law-related education to co-coordinate and teach at the Summer Law Institutes held at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Columbia Law School, CUNY Law School, Fordham Law School, New York University School of Law, and St. John’s University School of Law this summer. The Institute seeks to inspire motivated students from underserved communities entering high school to pursue careers in law and to strive for educational excellence. Thirty-two students from underserved NYC public junior high schools will be selected for each program. You will be trained to teach them a criminal justice and trial process curriculum, chaperone field trips and welcome prestigious guest speakers, run a mock trial competition before federal and state judges.
From June 4-29, SLI Coordinators work with attorney supervisors to prepare for the SLI during by participating in an experiential classroom training program on educational methodology, developing lesson plans on criminal law topics and trial advocacy skills, and organizing an itinerary of guest speakers and field trip visits. Then, from July 2-August 3, Coordinators implement the five-week SLI. You will teach law lessons daily, chaperone field trips, welcome prestigious guest speakers, and run a mock trial competition before federal and state judges. The last week of the program, August 6-10, will be spent evaluating the program and its participants. Coordinators will be paid $5,250 over the 10-week period.
Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to: Alysha Pizarro, Director of Law-Related Education at SLI@legaloutreach.org (type “SLI Coordinator Applicant – Name” in subject field).
Cover letters should include a detailed statement of interest in the position and an indication of whether the applicant has funding for the summer (not a requirement).
Deadline: Application deadline is March 31, 2018 (although we evaluate candidates on a rolling basis).
Summer Law Institute Internship
Legal Outreach is seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic interns to perform educational and administrative duties during our five-week Summer Law Institutes held at Columbia Law School, NYU School of Law, Fordham School of Law, Benjamin N. Cardozo Law School, St. John’s University School of Law, and CUNY School of Law. Interns provide crucial support to the program, ensuring the students’ success. Ideal candidates are those interested in inspiring youth through enriching educational experiences; while advancing their own knowledge of the legal field. Interns also enjoy exclusive access to networking opportunities with attorneys, judges, and other legal professionals.
Start date: June 4, 2018 End Date: August 10, 2018 Hours per week: 40
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Research, schedule, and communicate with attorneys for guest speaker program
- Create and maintain student contact, information, and participation databases
- Act as main contact point for students’ parents/guardians, including communication regarding program requirements and expectations
- Organize logistics for student and family orientation
- Track and communicate progress evaluations to students, parents/guardians, and program directors
- Take photographs and create content for SLI newsletter and online presence
- Create and teach lessons to build students’ academic skills: study skills, test taking skills, essay writing, and professional etiquette
- Assist two law student coordinators in developing and implementing SLI mission
- Currently a sophomore or junior in college.
- Ability to communicate via telephone and email in a professional and timely manner
- Comfort working in administration and logistics
- Attention to detail and superior organizational skills
- Problem-solving attitude.
- Proficiency in Spanish or Bangla is helpful (but not essential)
This is an unpaid internship. Interested applicants should explore funding opportunities through their university or other external sources. Legal Outreach will support funding paperwork requirements.
How to Apply: (Deadline: March 1, 2018)
Interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter and writing sample to: Ana Apostoleris, Esq., Law-Related Education Coordinator, at SLI@legaloutreach.org. In the subject field type: “SLI Intern Applicant – [name].” Candidates will be evaluated on a rolling basis.
Law-Related Education Program Assistant
Wage: $30,000-$35,000 a year, dependent upon experience; generous medical and vacation benefits
Type: Full-time employment
Location: Educational and office facility in Long Island City, Queens (13 min from Midtown Manhattan)
When: Position starts by June 4, 2018.
For 35 years, Legal Outreach has prepared young people from under-resourced communities to compete at high academic levels by using intensive legal and educational programs as tools for fostering vision, developing skills, enhancing confidence, and facilitating the pursuit of higher education. Learn more at www.legaloutreach.org.
Advantages of Position:
- Impact hundreds of New York City public school students’ educational enrichment each year
- Get exposure to constitutional law and criminal justice topics and different legal careers
- Networking opportunities with lawyers and judges
- Great workplace culture
- Opportunity to develop communication, administration, and program management skills in nonprofit setting
Provide administrative assistance to Law-Related Education team to facilitate successful implementation of Legal Outreach’s legal education programs, including constitutional law debates and Summer Law Institutes. Responsibilities include:
- Frequent correspondence via phone and email with attorneys, school administrators, parents, and students;
- Maintaining all databases;
- Scheduling interviews, events, and law lessons for 150+ students;
- Assisting with event preparation, coordination, and implementation;
- Facilitating collecting and recording attendance sheets, homework assignments, and evaluations;
- Creating desktop publishing documents (manuals, flyers, invitations, newsletters) for recruitment and program promotion;
- Assisting with special projects as the need arises.
- Candidate must be willing to make a 2-year commitment
- Bachelor’s degree
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Publisher, and Google Drive applications
- Proficiency with social media platforms
- Strong research, writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, multi-task, and work under a deadline.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals
How to Apply:
Please email cover letter and resume with two references to Grace Pickering (email@example.com). Write “LRE Assistant Applicant” followed by your name in the subject heading. Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis but must be received by April 9, 2018.